Saturday, July 2, 2011

Personal Logs of Lt. Praxi

[personal log] yet and it’s completely… Wait, okay, so maybe I can just fit this bit back in lengthways and then, maybe… there. Okay then. Computer, begin new personal log, stardate 46-[/log]

[personal log]… ? Stardate 46401.7. I have finally joined the crew of the Aperture on her maiden voyage. I can already tell that there are many nice people in Engineering who are willing to help, um, those that drop their personal terminals and then step on them, and then kick the important bits under a chair, by accident. There are also… less nice people aboard, such as the ensign in charge of impulse engineering, but I’m sure I’ll get to know him better. Maybe he will even return my allotment of latinum that I gave him for the, um, meal in the, hmm. Well, maybe not.

Oh yes! The launch went without concern, and the wormhole was surprising larger than expected. I always assumed that the Aperture was assigned to it due to its small size, as something that could transport ships that far away must require a tradeoff in capacity, but no. Speaking of the ship, it has an incredible sensor suite! State of the art spectral induction plates, tight-band material analysers over the ramscoops, and some sort of new buffering grid to compensate for the, uh, the… oh karf it, what’s that effect that’s based on… Doppler Effect! Yes. It allows for better scan resolution while in flight. I should include some of the images that Astrometrics has been capturing, they’re beautiful. I’ll figure out how to do that, later, yes. And my quarters! I have a window! All to myself! And it’s down the hall from the officer mess! Well they’re all down the hall from that, but still!

Currently we’re working on a simple shakedown mission to find a missing probe, with Lt. Mellok, he’s the Chief Engineer, working on the case. I’ve submitted an initial crew roster for the science department to the captain, based on their career profiles. I’m pretty sure they’ll be accepted, I did some extra footwork on their backgrounds. Oh, but then I mentioned that yesterday, didn’t I… hm. Well then, I’m repeating myself.[/log]


[personal log], supplemental. Where to begin, ah. We’ve encountered, well we met it really, a living sun! It’s a G2V with a magnitude of… well that doesn’t rightly matter, it was alive! It may even be a new subtype of cosmozoic life! And we met with natives on a local planet that worshipped it! Well, sort of. Also, the sun tends to attack things in space that it considers hostile, which is… everything. Well not the planet, it doesn’t attack the planet I don’t think… Oh this is rubbish. Let’s start over.

It started when we rendezvoused with the U.S.S. Equinox in the Gamma Quadrant, where we were given the task of finding a missing survey probe. Lt. Mellok tracks it down to an M-class with a pre-warp society orbiting a living star. Well, we didn’t know that at the time, or that it apparently knocked the probe down. But I’m getting ahead of myself again, yes. So then! We pick up lifeforms approaching the crash site, and well, you know, the Prime Directive dictates that we have to stop them, so we get a visual scan of their clothes and anatomy, and Dr. Zelth… Zlethel… Dr. Zee and her personnel alter our appearance so we can blend in. Also, having a nose is weird. I’m glad I didn’t have to eat with it.

Then, and this was a neat part, we take the Aperture’s atmospheric shuttle, the Black Forest, down to the surface. I even managed to use the ionic interference in the atmosphere to mask our approach, um, once or twice. We had to stall the locals that made it to the wreckage, but we managed to recover it without their notice or too much trouble. Lt. Eketha, the Chief of Security, seemed very keen on violence, and Ensign Quag was dangerously close to, well, doing something awful. Really though, hmm. I make to deride them, and the only real hitch in the operation was my fault. That’s not what… oh right, yes. As we were leaving, I couldn’t quite find an ionic ‘pocket’ to tuck the shuttle into, and we… we spooked the locals, I suppose. We had to go back and stun them, then Dr. Z had to wipe their memories.

After we returned to the Aperture, we found that the sun was attacking the ship, as it was alive, as I mentioned. So we had to hide the ship behind the planet and work out it was alive, which was easy when Ensign Ls’uzz, a Betazed, picked up on its thoughts; and that it was sentient, which was easy when Lt. Mellok worked out that it was fluctuating the temperature of its core as a form of language. Strange way to communicate, but then I suppose the flapping about of organic bits is just as strange. Oh yes, and we set up a beacon probe to warn ships away from the area. Can’t have a zealous sun blasting everything without warning, oh no.

So! That was my day today. Humm, wow. It certainly kicks nebula surveys into a vert nest. Almost sorry we didn’t get to stay and study it, but then it was a very overprotective sort of sun.[/log]

No comments:

Post a Comment